Auria & Funkbox Midi Problem

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

tgb123987

Auria & Funkbox Midi Problem

Post by tgb123987 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:54 am

I am trying to use Funkbox with Auria to record drumtracks for my song via Midi. The beat will play back with the song fine, but after I record it, it sounds like the beat is being played twice, and one is slightly off time. I have checked to see if I am getting doubled midi notes and that is not the case. I am thinking I have something set up wrong, but I have no clue how to fix it.

My settings:

Auria
Core Midi Inputs - Network Session 1: Receive notes
- Funk Box : Receive notes

Core Midi Outputs - Network Session 1: Send notes
- Amplitube: Send notes
- Funk Box: Send notes

Funk Box
Audio/Midi Settings - Midi: On
- Audio Latency: Auto
- Clock Sync: Internal
- Omni Midi In: Off
- Velocity: On
- Bass Midi Sequence: Off
- Midi CC +16 Offset: Off
- 12 Part Midi: Off
- Midi Channel Drums: 10
- Midi Channel Bass: 1

Midi Routing Settings - Virtual Ports: On
- Clear Saved: On
- Auto Connect Midi: Off

Core Midi Outputs - Wifi Network Clock Out: Off
Note Out: Off
Bass Out: Off
Auria Clock Out: Off
Amplitube Clock Out: Off

Core Midi Inputs - Wifi Network Clock In: Off
Note In: Off
Cc In: Off
Auria Clock In: Off
Note In: Off
CC In: Off

Funk Box Virtual Ports - Virtual Output Clock Out: On
Note Out: On
Bass Out: On
Virtual Input Clock In: Off
Note In: On
CC In: On
Network Connections- Network Midi: On

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Auria & Funkbox Midi Problem

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:11 am

Hopefully I understand what is going on here. You say that your midi notes are recorded in Auria Pro right. You said that you recorded the audio for the drum track. So if the audio of the drums has been recorded you need to mute the midi track that has the midi drum notes on it and unload iFunkbox. The delay your hearing is the latency compensation in Auria Pro that deals with the audio playback and midi. You simply have two sources playing at the same time one from the midi and one from the audio. Just eliminate the midi after your done recording the audio of that midi part or use the Bounce track in place under the Process menu in the edit page and that will turn the midi notes into audio from iFunkbox and then just unload iFunkbox. Cheers and hope that helped.

tgb123987

Post by tgb123987 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:19 am

Thanks for the reply... But not quite. I am not recording audio at all... I have a midi track set up in my project and the midi notes are being sent from Funkbox. If I silence funkbox, no drums play back

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:17 am

a midi track has to have a source instrument to play back the notes on that track. If iFunkbox is that instrument than of course unloading it will result in no sound as the midi track has no source to play it back with. You must at some point turn your midi tracks into audio in Auria Pro or you will always need iFunkbox loaded in order to hear your midi tracks. So after you have created your midi drum track that iFunkbox has recorded into Auria Pro, Bounce the track in place and you will get an audio track of that sound and midi notes on mix down. Also if you have Auria Pro set to not send midi notes to iFunkbox then it will not play iFunkbox on the playback as you directed Auria Pro not to in the midi settings page. Cheers.

wigglelights
Expert

Post by wigglelights » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:43 am

It sounds to me like Funkbox is "running" - perhaps it's receiving a start command from Auria - and Funkbox is playing both Auria midi and its own sequencer? That could be the double notes you are hearing. Is there a way to set Funkbox to not start and only receive notes?

Do you see the recorded midi notes on a track? If so do they appear to be on the beat?

It sounds like you are running the two apps independently? I.e. not using Audiobus or IAA? For playback your routing looks ok, with this exception;
The one thing you may want to try is is setting Auria as the clock source (*note Auria can only serve as a master), at least during recording. That should lock the two apps.
You also may try loading Funkbox as an IAA to your midi track (FYI I don't have this app, but blind assumption it supports IAA). IAA may cure and simplify the sync issue.

And a tip that may be worth trying-
Recording your midi as audio, and setting the midi track's out to none, can help lower the processor load as your project grows. That way the midi track is there for possible future tweaks if needed, and Auria is just dealing with audio loops (presuming looped/pattern based approach, at least for your drum tracks). And helps keep your workflow simpler - no need to make sure every app is loaded and routed when creativity strikes.....

Best of luck!

tgb123987

Post by tgb123987 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:35 pm

Thank you so much for the wisdom and tips guys!!! The solution was as simple as changing the Clock Sync setting in FunkBox from internal to external! Now it seems to be working right.