MIDI & Live Vocal in the Same project

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

IndieP
Expert

MIDI & Live Vocal in the Same project

Post by IndieP » Sun May 22, 2016 9:14 pm

I recently asked this question in a forum post.
Is the adding of Reverb limited to the project you are creating within Auria, or can I use Auria with the Alesis iO Dock II, mic attached, and add Reverb to my live vocal?

Someone answered.
General you need to open a project every time you use Auria, it's simply part of the game.
You can also create a project with just one channel (for the mic input) and save it and reload it in live situations.

Now to my question. My projects are MIDI backing tracks which means I would be playing the MIDI backing track while at the same time singing live vocal with Reverb added. This means each backing track would need to have an audio and MIDI channel within the same project to enable me to play the backing track and sing live vocal at the same time.

Initial research on the web states Rim as saying that he had provided samples of Project Templates incorporating MIDI and Audio within the same project that could be used when such a project was needed, but I cannot find them in Auria Pro.

In P19 of the User Guide it states:
Tracks – Select the number of pre-made mono audio tracks (stereo and MIDI tracks can be added later)
But so far I haven’t been able to locate within the user guide how to do this.

Can anyone help me understand how to do this?

Thanks

Washboy
Expert

Re: MIDI & Live Vocal in the Same project

Post by Washboy » Mon May 23, 2016 5:08 am

Try the following to get a handle on project templates:

'Menu -> New Project' - Don't specify how many tracks, etc.
Name and save your new project.
'Menu -> Add Track' - Select 1 MIDI track.
'Menu -> Add Track' - Select 1 Mono track.
Tap the 'FX' button on the new mono track.
Tap the 1st empty slot in the Channel Strip Inserts.
Select 'ClassicVerb' from the list of insert fx.
'Menu -> Save Project -> Save Project as Template' - Name project, e.g. "My Test Template".

Now whenever you go 'Menu -> New Project', you'll find "My Test Template" as an option in the list of templates which can be selected in the 'Templates' drop down list (immediately below the box where you name your new project). A new project created with your "My Test Template" template will have one MIDI track and one mono Audio track (with ClasicVerb FX preloaded). You can delete templates in that list via the 'Edit Templates' item at the bottom of the list.

Get the idea?

Hope that all makes sense and is of some use :D

IndieP
Expert

Post by IndieP » Mon May 23, 2016 10:48 am

Hi Washboy,

Great, thanks so much for your input, it went like a breeze. It's often frustrating when you look for hours or days trying to find an answer to something and it's actually so simple.

Next time I'm visiting my family in Sunderland (my wife and I live 80 miles South of Seattle in the USA), I should nip down to London and have coffee with you, lol. However, since you have been such a great help, I have another priority question I wonder if you or anyone else can help me with.

When creating a MIDI backing track of a Kick Drum throughout a 5 minute song using the Metronome in the background, as hard as I try, sometimes my timing is off, not much, but noticeable. Is there a feature in Auria Pro that can shift or adjust the timing so that its correct, i.e. (in sync with the Metronome)?
The closest solution I can find to this is;

QUANTIZE – Adjusts the rhythmic timing of the track’s playback to conform with a selected grid,
and can be used with either a strict grid or with more complex groove templates, all
in real-time (See Page 73)

Is that correct?

Thanks again.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Mon May 23, 2016 1:18 pm

Hey, glad it all made sense, @IndieP !

Yes, MIDI quantise is what you need. It's a sort of "snap to grid", where you specify the grid size (1/16 note, 1/4 note, etc.) according to your needs. You'll probably want to experiment with the quantise parameters but you can undo if you get them wrong :wink:

IndieP
Expert

Post by IndieP » Mon May 23, 2016 10:30 pm

Thanks again, I'll work on it tomorrow.