Midi controller issue

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Strizbiz
Expert

Midi controller issue

Post by Strizbiz » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:31 am

Hi, so I’ve little been all night trying to figure this out with no luck, the sun literally came up , anyway I’m using a midi controller, the Akai MPK Mini2, and I’m trying to lay down a song, the problem is that I have 4 instruments loaded and when I play something I’m hearing all 4 instruments at the same time even though I only have one track record enabled. I just want to hear the record enabled track when I play like I can do in Cubasis. I hope I don’t have to change the midi channel on the MPK because I’d have to use the midi editor on my Mac to do that, and I’d have to just stick with Cubasis for midi sequencing. So is there a way that I can just hear the record enabled instrument? Even if I could change midi channels on the MPK on the controller itself that seems like a lot of extra work that would slow down my creativity.

Thanks in advance
IPad Air 2 128 gb Apogee Duet Ipad/Mac

Rodolfo
Expert

Re: Midi controller issue

Post by Rodolfo » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:53 am

This behavior was changed in last v2.23 update, so you no longer need to record enable a track for using MIDI.
Just turn OFF the input of the MIDI track that you don’t want to be triggered by your controller (as in the picture attached).
Hope this helps.
Rodolfo
Attachments
2F91933C-55C3-497F-B446-370E320F4E2B.jpeg

Strizbiz
Expert

Post by Strizbiz » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:44 pm

Rodolfo wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:53 am
This behavior was changed in last v2.23 update, so you no longer need to record enable a track for using MIDI.
Just turn OFF the input of the MIDI track that you don’t want to be triggered by your controller (as in the picture attached).
Hope this helps.
Rodolfo
Yeah....that’s pretty much a dealbreaker for me as far as midi sequencing in Auria Pro goes, if anything I’ll mix in it once in awhile. I just dont see having to disable and enable midi for each midi track all the time, that will slow down my creativity immensely. I can just select the track with the instrument I want to play with literally every other IOS and desktop Daw. I don’t get why you have to do that in Auria Pro at all. I have Auria and Auria Pro so I’ll probably just delete Auria Pro and reinstall Auria as I know Im not going to sequence in it at all. Also I do t get why there’s no manual punch in, but I’m seeing now that Auria Pro just isn’t the Daw for me.
IPad Air 2 128 gb Apogee Duet Ipad/Mac

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:56 am

Strizbiz wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:44 pm
Rodolfo wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:53 am
Hope this helps.
Rodolfo
Yeah....that’s pretty much a dealbreaker for me as far as midi sequencing in Auria Pro goes, if anything I’ll mix in it once in awhile. I just dont see having to disable and enable midi for each midi track all the time, that will slow down my creativity immensely. I can just select the track with the instrument I want to play with literally every other IOS and desktop Daw. I don’t get why you have to do that in Auria Pro at all. I have Auria and Auria Pro so I’ll probably just delete Auria Pro and reinstall Auria as I know Im not going to sequence in it at all. Also I do t get why there’s no manual punch in, but I’m seeing now that Auria Pro just isn’t the Daw for me.
Maybe it's just a case of finding a more user-friendly way of selecting the input channel. Previously this was done by record-enabling the track, but this was not very intuitive for many users and led to many forum questions and support emails.

In AUM for example you have to set the MIDI destination with the MIDI Matrix. In Cubasis you have to select the track, but this isn't really possible in Auria since you could be in the mixer view with no track selected.

It's a tricky UI issue to solve, but it would be good if there was a user-friendly and easily discoverable way to do this.