Scratchy reading, sounds like old 78 record from the 60s

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Ye Old Fart

Scratchy reading, sounds like old 78 record from the 60s

Post by Ye Old Fart » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:11 am

I’m using a Behringer XR!8 mixer as my interface with my iPad. Live recording a Contra dance with 5 tracks . Fiddle, mandolin, flute, guitar and a caller..
Fiddle using a condenser phantom powered mic clipped it . Mandolin a passive pickup using a cloud lifter. Flute a Shure 57 with cloud lifter. Guitar using passive pick up plugged in cordless. Caller using cordless headset. The wave forms look good.
On play back there is a scratchy crackle that makes the recording sound like an old record when I was 10 years old. The CPU usage while recording seems quite low. No problems recording a 15 minute set
This doesn’t happen if I lug my Mac desktop and use Garage band. I’m sure they make plugins to make the recording sound like a record from the 60s but that’s not really what I want.
Any ideas?

Corey W
Expert

Re: Scratchy reading, sounds like old 78 record from the 60s

Post by Corey W » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:41 pm

Check to make sure your XR18 and Auria Pro project are running with matching sample rates.

Ye Old Fart

Post by Ye Old Fart » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:05 am

Thanks. I’ll see if I can figure that out. Just turned 66 today. Just been learning how to do recording and sound for dances in the last 3 years or so.
Old dog is still learning new tricks.

Ye Old Fart

Post by Ye Old Fart » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:23 am

Thank you again. I’ve now found where to change the sample size on my iPad and on my xr18 mixer. I think that has cleared up the problem.
I need to find out what the different sizes mean in terms of quality now. I don’t remember it being discussed in YouTube about recording on Garage band.
I still have lots to learn. Ye Old Fart.