Bus crackle

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Neil
Expert

Bus crackle

Post by Neil » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:43 am

I’m getting a crackling sound when I output a track to a bus then input that bus to a new track. I assume this is a setting somewhere. It’s bad with a small buffer (64) and still audible, but less of it, with a large buffer (4096).

The crackle doesn’t appear in the mixdown. Are there any other settings that might cause this crackle?

(IPad Pro 12.9 2020 iPadOS 13.4.1)

UPDATE This only happens in the latest iPad Pro. It seems to be an Apple Core Audio problem they haven’t fixed in 2 years. So until they do, I can think of 4 solutions:
  • use 48000 or 96000 sample rate when creating a project
  • Ignore it. It doesn’t end up in the mixdown. Increase the buffer to the maximum so it is less noticeable
  • Don’t use buses😱
  • Use an older generation iPad
Last edited by Neil on Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Bus crackle

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:46 pm

Its hard to say. There are a ton of reasons that this can happen. EG. Track count, amount of plugins open, 3rd party plugins inserted wether AuV3 or IAA, Sample rate that the project is in, ect. One way to relieve this would be to use the new record buss feature. You could record the buss track with the plugins then turn off the plugins and send that now audio track that has the plugins mixed in to the next buss track where I assume you want to insert even more plugins. So without this info its hard to say why its happening but I can tell you that I have had ;this happen many times and its due to over powering you cpu and I have noticed that it happens with the larger FabFilter plugins like ProR and ProMB. To track it down simply start turning off plugins until the crackle stops then you will know which plugins are causing the digital crackling noise. Cheers and good luck.

Neil
Expert

Post by Neil » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:56 pm

I have tested with a new empty project and a downloaded sample of a one instrument playing for 2 bars, so absolutely nothing is plugged in to overload the processor.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:11 pm

ok well in that case I don't know as that small amount of processing going on shouldn't cause that noise. Reboot the iPad and see if that helps or send a copy of the project to Rim to investigate. Cheers.

Neil
Expert

Post by Neil » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:14 am

Hi Anthony - I’ve posted an update to my original post with some workarounds.

MikeSparrow
Expert

Post by MikeSparrow » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:20 am

Neil wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:43 am
I’m getting a crackling sound when I output a track to a bus then input that bus to a new track. I assume this is a setting somewhere. It’s bad with a small buffer (64) and still audible, but less of it, with a large buffer (4096).

The crackle doesn’t appear in the mixdown. Are there any other settings that might cause this crackle?

(IPad Pro 12.9 2020 iPadOS 13.4.1)

UPDATE This only happens in the latest iPad Pro. It seems to be an Apple Core Audio problem they haven’t fixed in 2 years. So until they do, I can think of 4 solutions:
  • use 48000 or 96000 sample rate when creating a project
  • Ignore it. It doesn’t end up in the mixdown. Increase the buffer to the maximum so it is less noticeable
  • Don’t use buses😱
  • Use an older generation iPad
Does anyone know if Apple have fixed the issue of Core Audio in the latest iPad Pro?

cheers

MikeSparrow
Expert

Post by MikeSparrow » Thu May 07, 2020 11:20 am

So I just purchased 2020 iPad Pro 12.9....and this issue is still there...