Record midi from sequencer to Auria Pro

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

johnjames

Record midi from sequencer to Auria Pro

Post by johnjames » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:49 pm

I've been attempting to record midi from a sequencer into Auria Pro using multiple tracks, mostly because I strongly favor step sequencers over piano roll. I've had success getting multi-channel midi to play from DrumPerfect Pro into Auria, with each drum on a separate channel and track, but when I hit the record button no midi data is recorded. So far I've had the most success by using Audiobus 3. I've also tried importing as a midi file, but this puts all channels on one track.

The intent is to record midi instead of audio so I can swap instruments in Auria and fine tune there. While I'm familiar with midi I am definitely no expert, so any help is appreciated.

audiobus.jpg
dpp.jpg
auria.jpg
auriaX2.jpg

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Record midi from sequencer to Auria Pro

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:26 pm

Notice that if you load DP into Auria or Cubasis you will not see DP as an available source for midi in the core midi settings only for the daw to output to it. In order for a daw to record midi into itself from another app is if only that app outputs its midi to core midi and DP does not. This is likely due to the complexity of DP patterns via layers but that is just my opinion. If this was going to work it would have worked in Cubasis as its midi is pretty stable. If you want to test this just insert an app like iFunkbox IAA into Arias midi channel and you will immediately see it in core midi and as an input source. Don't forget to toggle the yellow midi note on the channel strip in order to record the midi from the app or you'll still see no midi notes recorded. You can also create your own midi tracks and simply drag the drum hits from the keyboard notes and copy and paste them individually to the other tracks and you can do all this from the piano roll screen by tapping on the keyboard note that the kick is on and hit copy then select the track you want to copy to from the drop down and hit paste. Cheers.

johnjames

Post by johnjames » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:29 pm

Much appreciated. Follow up question, are there any known step sequencer apps that are able to output to core midi and record into Auria?

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:20 pm

The ones I use for this is DM1 and my favorite is Vatanator. Both will record their notes into Auria. Cheers.

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:56 am

johnjames wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:49 pm
I've been attempting to record midi from a sequencer into Auria Pro using multiple tracks, mostly because I strongly favor step sequencers over piano roll. I've had success getting multi-channel midi to play from DrumPerfect Pro into Auria, with each drum on a separate channel and track, but when I hit the record button no midi data is recorded. So far I've had the most success by using Audiobus 3. I've also tried importing as a midi file, but this puts all channels on one track.

The intent is to record midi instead of audio so I can swap instruments in Auria and fine tune there. While I'm familiar with midi I am definitely no expert, so any help is appreciated.

audiobus.jpg
dpp.jpg
auria.jpg
auriaX2.jpg
In your track setup , you are assigning the instrument on the channel strip. Try assigning as the track’s instrument instead. I have found that having an insert, sometimes prevents the MIDI from being recorded. I am not 100% sure if that was under apply here.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:48 pm

If an app doesn’t output it’s midi data to iOS core midi than it doesn’t matter where you insert it the result will be the same, you won’t get any midi data recorded. Cheers.

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:25 pm

johnjames wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:49 pm

audiobus.jpg
dpp.jpg
auria.jpg
auriaX2.jpg
I just wired up DPP into AudioBus 3 to Auria Pro and was able to record the MIDI from DPP with the DPP instruments setup as inserts as you did.

So, it is definitely do-able. There is probably something not set up correctly though I am not spotting anything obvious.