Time-stretching a group of MIDI notes in MIDI editor

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

LeftyChris
Expert

Time-stretching a group of MIDI notes in MIDI editor

Post by LeftyChris » Sat May 16, 2020 4:11 pm

After trying Cubasis, Nano Studio 2 and FL Studio Mobile, I recently switched to Auria Pro and I am really liking it.

I am wondering if it is possible to time-stretch a group of MIDI notes in the MIDI editor in Auria Pro. I know it is possible to time-stretch entire MIDI regions in Auria Pro using the Trim Handles and I am very happy with that feature (MIDI time-stretch is not possible at all in Cubasis 3).

Nonetheless, it would be helpful for me to know if it is also possible to time-stretch a highlighted group of MIDI notes in Auria’s MIDI editor. It is possible to do this in FL Studio Mobile’s MIDI editor but I don’t know of any other iOS DAWs that have this feature (maybe Xequence does). Is it possible to do this in Auria Pro?
Last edited by LeftyChris on Sat May 16, 2020 4:24 pm, edited 9 times in total.

LeftyChris
Expert

Re: Time-stretching a group of MIDI notes in MIDI editor

Post by LeftyChris » Sat May 16, 2020 4:13 pm

Often when I mention this feature on forums, people want to know why I want it and what I do with it.

I am recording some (mostly) solo piano music in MIDI and I do not like to play with a click-track. Since it is primarily solo piano music, I do not have to worry about quantizing or locking everything to a beat, but sometimes when I record my performances, I speed up or slow down too much in some part of a song, and time-stretching a group of MIDI notes makes this very easy to fix.

For what I am doing, then, time-stretching a group of notes in the MIDI editor is much faster and more efficient than time-stretching an entire MIDI region.

It is easy to time-stretch a group of MIDI notes in Reaper, which has become my main computer DAW since I switched from Logic. But now I am enjoying Auria so much that I would love to be able to use it even more (vis-a-vis Reaper).

At first I thought of iOS DAWs as just a way to sketch ideas, but the more I use Auria, the more I am seeing it as a DAW that I can use alongside Reaper. And it feels so intuitive too.

LeftyChris
Expert

Post by LeftyChris » Tue May 19, 2020 12:46 am

Nobody knows the answer to this question? I don’t see anything in the manual about time-stretching a group of MIDI notes in the MIDI editor, but I also didn’t see anything in the manual about time-stretching MIDI regions either, and that IS possible. (All I saw in the manual was how to time-stretch audio regions.)

Rodolfo
Expert

Post by Rodolfo » Tue May 19, 2020 12:05 pm

You can’t time stretch an arbitrary group of MIDI notes, but you can split a MIDI clip into smaller clips containing the group of notes you are interested in and time-stretch one of these smaller clips. Then you can join those clips again.
Rodolfo

LeftyChris
Expert

Post by LeftyChris » Wed May 20, 2020 12:02 am

Thank you for letting me know. I’ve been doing that and it did work for me. Time-stretching a group of MIDI notes would serve my purposes even better, but time-stretching MIDI regions is still useful for me, so I’ll just stick with that, then.
Last edited by LeftyChris on Wed May 20, 2020 12:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

LeftyChris
Expert

Post by LeftyChris » Wed May 20, 2020 12:09 am

When I split a MIDI region, though, I notice that each split region still contains all the MIDI notes from the original region (on either side of the visible notes - hidden from view until you scroll left or right), which makes stretching and manipulating these clips accurately somewhat more difficult.

Is there a way to make it so that the smaller, cut clips only contain the notes that are visible when the cut is made?

I hope my question makes sense.

Rodolfo
Expert

Post by Rodolfo » Wed May 20, 2020 2:32 am

Just tap the cut clip to select it, then go to Edit -> Join. Now the smaller clip will contain only the visible notes.
Rodolfo

LeftyChris
Expert

Post by LeftyChris » Wed May 20, 2020 4:27 am

Thank you very much! That seems like such an odd use of the join function that at first I suspected perhaps you had misunderstood my question, because I did not think that join would be used for such a thing. But I am very glad that it works.

Rodolfo
Expert

Post by Rodolfo » Wed May 20, 2020 3:31 pm

Not the standard use of the Join function, but just an old “trick” 😉
Rodolfo

LeftyChris
Expert

Post by LeftyChris » Wed May 20, 2020 9:00 pm

You must have many such tricks, so thank you for sharing them - I just went back to look at the Audiobus forum page where I had first learned about time-stretching MIDI regions in Auria and saw that you were the one I had learned that from too! Thanks again!

LeftyChris
Expert

Post by LeftyChris » Wed May 20, 2020 9:05 pm

Do you have a blog or a site where you write about techniques and tricks that you know in Auria? I’d love to be able to learn them.

Rodolfo
Expert

Post by Rodolfo » Thu May 21, 2020 2:14 am

I don’t have a blog unfortunately, but I usually post on the Audiobus forum and on the iPad Musician group on Facebook. Sometimes I also post short videos with tips and tricks or workarounds for Auria Pro, but there are many users here with more experience than me, so feel free to ask any time you need help. Just be patient as this forum is a little bit quieter compared to the Audiobus Forum since this is specific to Auria.
Rodolfo

LeftyChris
Expert

Post by LeftyChris » Fri May 22, 2020 5:42 am

Thanks very much, Rodolfo. I’ll check out your videos and will no doubt ask for your help again. I should probably also join the Audiobus forum.