Splitting MIDI notes?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

LeftyChris
Expert

Splitting MIDI notes?

Post by LeftyChris » Mon May 25, 2020 11:00 pm

Is there a way to split a MIDI note, or multiple MIDI notes, in half? I mean doing this within a MIDI region - so, without splitting the MIDI region. I figured that if I just highlighted a MIDI note and clicked ‘split,’ the note would split, but this does not work. Searching through the manual all I can find are instructions as to how to split MIDI regions.

Rodolfo
Expert

Re: Splitting MIDI notes?

Post by Rodolfo » Tue May 26, 2020 1:14 am

You can’t split a single MIDI note, you can only split MIDI clips.
However, if there’s a note(s) at the position where you split the clip, the note(s) will be split in two notes, resulting each one in different clips.
Rodolfo

LeftyChris
Expert

Post by LeftyChris » Tue May 26, 2020 1:49 am

Thanks, Rodolfo! I appreciate it. It seems that MIDI editing in Auria is in some ways more oriented towards MIDI regions/clips than towards individual MIDI notes, but since editing on an iPad is already so easy to begin with, I don’t mind much. Being able to directly stretch notes and regions with fingers on the screen is so cool.

I actually got into this because I haven’t had a working computer this past month or so - two MacBooks in a row direct from Apple with bad motherboards, so I keep having to send them back! Not sure what the chances are of that. So I ended up turning to my iPad, thinking I’d try it out for making music. (Normally I use Reaper and Logic.) Next thing you know, I’m having a lot of fun in Auria.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue May 26, 2020 1:11 pm

you can split any midi notes in the piano editor. This is not a region feature as fine note editing is only done in the piano editor and the region lanes are only timeline based editing. Cheers.

LeftyChris
Expert

Post by LeftyChris » Tue May 26, 2020 5:09 pm

Anthony Alves wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 1:11 pm
you can split any midi notes in the piano editor. This is not a region feature as fine note editing is only done in the piano editor and the region lanes are only timeline based editing. Cheers.
Oh, so it is possible to split individual MIDI notes inside the piano roll editor? Without having to split a MIDI region/clip? How do I do that?

By the way, I am using the terms MIDI “region“ and “clip” interchangeably, but maybe they mean different things in Auria.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue May 26, 2020 6:07 pm

I'm going to make a little vid for you because the way to do it is so slow and rather stupid but it's the only way to edit or split a single or multiple midi notes. Touch isn't always very good for editing unlike desktop daws. In logic one can set the timeline marker anywhere in the timeline and select as many tracks as we want and then hit a global command to Split and everything will be split at that point on a midi track both in the track lanes and in the piano note editor. This is not possible in the piano roll editor of Auria as selecting a note and finding split in editor window wont show the spit function highlighted meaning it doesnt apply to midi note editing but it should be fixed to do so. So you have to select a note, drag it back to the split point then add another note beside it and drag it out to the length you want. You can use the multiselect option to do more than one note at a time. Like I said it's rather slow and stupid but it's the only way to do it in Auria as there is no global midi note split command or even a single midi note split command. The only splitting in Auria that one can do affects the entire region of the track lanes but it does also split the note unfortunately it splits every note at that point which may not be what one wants. Cheers and let me know if you need the vid or if you understand the process or lack thereof.

LeftyChris
Expert

Post by LeftyChris » Wed May 27, 2020 4:34 am

Anthony Alves wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:07 pm
I'm going to make a little vid for you because the way to do it is so slow and rather stupid but it's the only way to edit or split a single or multiple midi notes. Touch isn't always very good for editing unlike desktop daws. In logic one can set the timeline marker anywhere in the timeline and select as many tracks as we want and then hit a global command to Split and everything will be split at that point on a midi track both in the track lanes and in the piano note editor. This is not possible in the piano roll editor of Auria as selecting a note and finding split in editor window wont show the spit function highlighted meaning it doesnt apply to midi note editing but it should be fixed to do so. So you have to select a note, drag it back to the split point then add another note beside it and drag it out to the length you want. You can use the multiselect option to do more than one note at a time. Like I said it's rather slow and stupid but it's the only way to do it in Auria as there is no global midi note split command or even a single midi note split command. The only splitting in Auria that one can do affects the entire region of the track lanes but it does also split the note unfortunately it splits every note at that point which may not be what one wants. Cheers and let me know if you need the vid or if you understand the process or lack thereof.
Thanks very much, Anthony. I appreciate the detailed explanation. Since I am very much a newbie to Auria Pro, though, if you have time to make that video, then yes, I would really like to see it.

I’ve been using computer DAWs for a while: Logic on and off for about a decade and Reaper for about 2-3 years....but I’ve been using Auria for only about two weeks!