Recording Live Band

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

bradclr3

Recording Live Band

Post by bradclr3 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:30 pm

Has anyone done much simultaneous tracking with a live band? I want to record and film live bands and need to be able to mix tracks separately after the performance. I would love to have the portability of Auria on the iPad in my arsenal. Thinking of using the Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 with it. Any tips, warnings, etc for this approach? (I know about audio problems associated with live recordings in general. Just tips on Aurio and associated devices, please.)

Chris M
Expert

Re: Recording Live Band

Post by Chris M » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:19 am

Hello,

One of the Auria demo projects, "The Approach," was recorded entirely on Auria. Drums, Bass, and Guitar were tracked simultaneously, using 12 or so inputs on the PreSonus 1818VSL. The Focusrite will be similar in performance, though more external preamps are necessary (only two built in). You can check out a video documenting the process here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jv6gXnRyNI

Of the interfaces we've tested, these two interfaces offer the most simultaneous inputs right now. You can check out the Working / Not Working Interfaces thread to see if any others have been tested by Auria users.

Best,

Chris
WaveMachine Labs

Foster
Expert

Post by Foster » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:52 am

I would beware of the focusrite. Especially with live bands. Apparently the 6 line ins on the back do not have physical gain settings. They must be set with a computer first. They remember the settings until you change them. this is a really bad thing.

As a sound guy/wannabe recording engineer, I can't remember the last time I plugged in a band and not had to adjust just about every gain. With my band I get close because a lot of times the board has already been set, but still seem to always have to adjust things a little. Wether it's to bring a gain up or down it is almost alway necessary. Imagine with the focusrite thinking you have every gain correct, and then you start recording. Something is clipping, or something just doesn't have enough gain. You have to stop everything, plug it back Into a computer and try again. And again, and possibly again. Let's not forget that you also have to bring a computer with you everywhere you go.

This would be a great piece if somehow the iPad could set the gains. But sadly to say it cannot.

amonglights
Expert

Post by amonglights » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:32 pm

Is there a filter or integrated "method" in Auria to reduce/eliminate the acoustic reverb/echo of a room?

amonglights
Expert

Post by amonglights » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:51 pm

amonglights wrote:Is there a filter or integrated "method" in Auria to reduce/eliminate the acoustic reverb/echo of a room?
Nevermind, I played a bit with the convolution reverb "announcer" preset and it actually made it sound better! Thumbs up for Auria!

snapstring

Post by snapstring » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:25 am

Foster,

thats an excellent point about not being able to adjust the gains of the 6 line inputs on the Focusrite 18i6. I was just about to buy one, and my needs are recording my large band in rehearsals and at gigs, and we would definitely need to adjust the gains to those channels I would imagine. It would be good if this fact was made available on the compatibility page: http://www.auriaapp.com/Support/auria-audio-interfaces

Do you know if its something that could be addressed by Focusrite with a firmware update or is the lack of physical gain knobs for those channels on the 18i6 the deal-breaker here? Its a shame because Focusrite seem keen to make sure their products work for iPad.

Am now probably going to go for the Presonus 1818VSL - any known issues with this?

Many thanks

matar

Post by matar » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:48 am

I'm new with auria - an just ordered the 18i6...
First: Thanks for this App! It's Amazing!

Let me check this again: I'm not able to adjust the focusrite 18i6 input channel gains whitin auria?? - I need to have my pc or mac to adjust this?

So how can we handle this issue? Is there a workaround?
I don't want to reverse my order...

Thanks!
Peter

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:56 am

iPad apps have no way of adjusting settings on a USB device. The only exceptions are devices specifically made for an iPad (Meteor Mic, etc). So any adjustments needed (gain, monitor mix, etc) must be done using the control panel software that comes with the interface (like MixControl in the case of Focusrite). Some interfaces like the Presonus 1818 have hardware gain knobs on the front panel, but no interface that I'm aware of has individual monitor knobs, so even the 1818 needs the control panel software to adjust a monitor mix.

Rim