Track freezing vs Aux sends....?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Marts500
Expert

Track freezing vs Aux sends....?

Post by Marts500 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:33 am

This is probably a silly question but is there any advantage when using Aux sends (for a reverb eg.)while mixing down against getting the tracks and mix just as you want them with say inserting individual reverb effects etc and then freezing them and freeing up CPU power ......?

instinctive
Expert

Re: Track freezing vs Aux sends....?

Post by instinctive » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:46 am

If you really need a different reverb for each track (I've never), and aren't too lazy to configure all of them, and have enough CPU power to spare, then why not...

If I did that with my desktop DAW, I'd run out of CPU after 4 tracks ;)

robdean
Expert

Re: Track freezing vs Aux sends....?

Post by robdean » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:46 am

There's room to do both in whatever combination works best creatively.

Possible considerations might be:
A stereo Aux reverb might help place the mix in a realistic overall space.
A stereo Aux reverb might compromise spatial separation of tracks in the mix.
Insert reverbs allow unique reverb character per track.
Insert reverbs used alone might compromise attempting a 'natural' sounding mix (should you want such a mix) since every instrument is in a different 'space'.
Mono insert reverbs can help preserve stereo separation versus an overall stereo Aux

In a physical studio each take will tend to pick up some of the character of the room, even if, say, a guitar, snare or vocal reverb is inserted. One possible approack in a DAW is to emulate this by inserting 'character' reverbs on selected tracks (snare, guitar, vox) but giving most or all tracks a hint of Aux stereo reverb to 'glue the mix together' in a consistent ambient space. Of course, if you are mashin' up mad beatz then you might prefer to embrace an 'artificial' vibe, and actively want to avoid a 'natural' acoustic soundstage.
Latest iOS - iPad Air 2019 256Gb WiFi - Alesis iO4