Auria Pro continuous crashes on iPad Pro 12.9 2nd Gen, iOS 13.4.1

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

eustressor
Expert

Auria Pro continuous crashes on iPad Pro 12.9 2nd Gen, iOS 13.4.1

Post by eustressor » Sun May 03, 2020 4:47 am

Hi Rim,

I hope you and your loved ones are safe and well during these crazy times.

I have been a passionate user and advocate of Auria Pro as an exceptional iDAW to rival any Mac/PC DAW since 2014, on social media and also on the AB Forum. I just spent all night with a newly found, stubbornly useless iDAW that will not load anything without crashing. It crashes when I reboot and try to reopen. It crashes when I look at it wrong. It crashes on the few occasions I was able to get a project open and made some mix/plugin changes - never saving the changes. At first I thought I had a corrupt file, but it's the same no matter what file I load.

It is every bit as useless as it was during the Tonebridge fiasco a few years back. I *was* scheduled to start recording sessions this week. Auria on my iPad is the only DAW I've built my home studio around. Now, I can do nothing. Crash, crash, crash, crash, crash, crash.

My interface is a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6. I deliberately held off on updating to iOS 13 until you had released that latest update in late March. I assumed it was safe once you had the fix in for iOS13. I have been up all night fighting this to no avail. Please advise!

Sincerely,
~Sean Foley

Espiegel123
Expert

Re: Auria Pro continuous crashes on iPad Pro 12.9 2nd Gen, iOS 13.4.1

Post by Espiegel123 » Sun May 03, 2020 1:54 pm

eustressor wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 4:47 am
Hi Rim,

I hope you and your loved ones are safe and well during these crazy times.

I have been a passionate user and advocate of Auria Pro as an exceptional iDAW to rival any Mac/PC DAW since 2014, on social media and also on the AB Forum. I just spent all night with a newly found, stubbornly useless iDAW that will not load anything without crashing. It crashes when I reboot and try to reopen. It crashes when I look at it wrong. It crashes on the few occasions I was able to get a project open and made some mix/plugin changes - never saving the changes. At first I thought I had a corrupt file, but it's the same no matter what file I load.

It is every bit as useless as it was during the Tonebridge fiasco a few years back. I *was* scheduled to start recording sessions this week. Auria on my iPad is the only DAW I've built my home studio around. Now, I can do nothing. Crash, crash, crash, crash, crash, crash.

My interface is a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6. I deliberately held off on updating to iOS 13 until you had released that latest update in late March. I assumed it was safe once you had the fix in for iOS13. I have been up all night fighting this to no avail. Please advise!

Sincerely,
~Sean Foley
A couple of people on Audiobus Forum reported something along these lines and found that deleting their unused old music apps solved the problem. Neither kept track of what they had deleted. There seems to be some sort of obscure IS bug that allows some apps...even if they are never run to mess things up. Both of these folks mentioned having a large collection of music apps that they never use.

eustressor
Expert

Post by eustressor » Sun May 03, 2020 2:17 pm

Thank you, Mr. Espiegel123 - I shall give that a try.

eustressor
Expert

Post by eustressor » Sun May 03, 2020 8:29 pm

So 50+ app deletions later, and I was able to run Auria for almost an hour without a crash. A few notes, for @Rim and for anyone else encountering this problem. Any projects you had open when the insta-crash began are likely corrupted, and will continue to crash Auria. Better to import those project tracks into a new project if you need to keep them. Also, my problem is only semi-solved so far. It's still crashing sometimes, which is way more than it used to (I think I could count the crashes I had prior to April, since 2014, on one hand). But I also have a lot more old/abandoned apps to clean out. I will update if that takes care of the problem.

No one app appears to be the culprit, yet, unlike the ToneBridge fiasco a few years back. If I find "the one" I'll update regarding that as well.

I wonder if the Cubasis 3 problems could be from a similar cause, and if there is a "general old app bleed" problem, to what degree is it incumbent upon the devs to make sure their DAW is ironclad? I know AUM is much less complex than Auria, but it seems immune from this issue, as does ApeMatrix. Something to think about, perhaps. Cheers all, and stay safe!

eustressor
Expert

Post by eustressor » Sun May 03, 2020 8:31 pm

Also, here is the AudioBus Forum post where @johnfromberkeley discusses his experience and (mostly) fix:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/3812 ... t-any-more