The Higgins Society- Made Of Sadness

For Auria users to share their creativity!

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

thehigginssociety

The Higgins Society- Made Of Sadness

Post by thehigginssociety » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:08 am

Hi all

I consider myself very much a novice at recording. Here's a demo of a song I wrote that for my band The Higgins Society.

We do midnight heartbreak indie. Very interested to hear people's thoughts.

https://soundcloud.com/thehigginssociet ... of-sadness

Cheers

Darren

Tarekith
Expert

Re: The Higgins Society- Made Of Sadness

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:18 pm

I like the intro synth a lot, and I think you did a great job on the vocals. Those are great actually.

Not sure I liked that weird guitar/sax/synth lead sound later in the track though, just sounded too basic in an already sparse arrangement. Lots of potential for some ear candy there.

Good track though, sounds well recorded actually, no worries there.

thehigginssociety

Post by thehigginssociety » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:27 am

Thanks very much. That's really useful feeback. :) It was the first track I did after buying myself the Rode K2 for my vocals and I really like the vocal sound. I've also really changed how I sing recently- I used to rely on lung busting power and range but I actually like the sound of my voice better when I sing more or less in a whisper, as I did here.

Do you mean the slide guitar part that plays the chorus melody after the second verse? What sort of ear candy would you put in there? Interested in that feedback.

sodium
Expert

Post by sodium » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:04 am

im coming late to this party but I have to chip in. that's a beaut track .Love the restraint and the intimacy. I also happen to quite like the idea of that slide/solo thingy...perhaps could be developed a bit more, made to sparsely interweave or some such thing... but yeah, the song is a winner and the vocals are fab. kudos.
"get down off that cross we could use the wood..."

starfugger
Expert

Post by starfugger » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:54 pm

Love quiet intimate and soulful music like this one. I'd put in More ambient sounds though just to build things up a bit towards the end. I'd also automate the reverb or put in different reverbs on on the vocals different sections of the song. But that's just me. U got a really nice tune there :)