? about resource management

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

ZenLizard
Expert

? about resource management

Post by ZenLizard » Mon May 06, 2013 7:02 pm

I know that for some DAWs, repeated audio clips are much more 'resource efficient' than a single audio clip that spans the same length of time, because each copy references the same audio. There are other DAWs that treat each copy as new and seperate audio.

Is there a resource advantage in Auria to, for example, copy 1 or 2 measures of a verse on a track and paste it in for the duration of all the verses, as opposed to having one continuous audio clip spanning the length of the song (assuming there are no silent passages on that particular track)?
— Can you hum a few bars? —

Tarekith
Expert

Re: ? about resource management

Post by Tarekith » Mon May 06, 2013 8:11 pm

Copy and pasting clips creates new audio files, but you can zoom the edit screen until you see a right pointing arrow on a clip. Dragging this creates continuos references to the same audio file.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon May 06, 2013 8:19 pm

Not true - every edit operation in Auria is non-destructive, which means it doesn't take any more space on the drive to do it (it uses the original audio file instead of creating a new one). The only destructive operations are the ones found in the process menu (with the exception of Crossfade, which is also non destructive). So for example, using copy and paste doesn't create a new audio file.

Rim

Tarekith
Expert

Post by Tarekith » Mon May 06, 2013 8:23 pm

My bad, I thought it was the other way around. Sorry about that!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon May 06, 2013 8:24 pm

No problem!

Rim

Tarekith
Expert

Post by Tarekith » Mon May 06, 2013 8:28 pm

So on that topic. Let's say I copy and paste a 4 bar loop for 64 bars. If I then perform the Consolidate Regions option, does that make new audio versions out of all the copies, or does it know they all reference the same audio file so leaves it as is? I couldn't quite understand that in the manual.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon May 06, 2013 9:01 pm

Yes, in that case, Condense Regions would make new copies of all the duplicates. This is why it's not recommended to use Condense Regions for projects which contain a lot of duplicates, as it might end up taking more space than when you started.

Rim

Tarekith
Expert

Post by Tarekith » Mon May 06, 2013 9:03 pm

Thanks for the clarification!

ZenLizard
Expert

Post by ZenLizard » Tue May 07, 2013 11:02 am

So for any repetitive part that doesn't have or need any evolving or unique character from measure to measure, is it best to trim it down to a measure or two, "condense" it, and then copy/paste it across the length of sections where it should play on it's track? Or drag it out as a looped part as described in a previous post?

I'm trying to understand Auria's "best practices". When I switched from ProTools to Sonar, I had to learn a different way of doing things to get the most out of it. I want to get the most out of Auria too.
— Can you hum a few bars? —

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue May 07, 2013 11:39 am

Yep, that's what I would recommend.

Rim