More Reliable Way of Importing DM1 Tracks Into Auria

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

indratgj
Expert

More Reliable Way of Importing DM1 Tracks Into Auria

Post by indratgj » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:19 am

I have been using the Export Song feature of DM1 to get drum tracks into Auria, uploading each drum as a separate track to DropBox. However, it is very unreliable and often, after an hour or so of transfer time, I'll get a DM1 message that "an error has occurred, retry or call support."

When this occurred before, I learned the trick of doing a long tap on DM1's DropBox button to disconnect from DropBox. This helps in some cases, but not always. And it's very frustrating to wait an hour plus, only to realize that the transfer to DropBox has failed. I'm sensing that the problem may be with the large file size and wireless transfer glitches.

I was a able to successfully transfer a small test track this morning. But that doesn't help with the bad reliability on my real work.

So, now to the question: is there any more reliable way to get separated drum tracks from DM1 into Auria? Will Audiobus work? Any other suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Travis
iPad Pro 12.9” Gen 5, iOS v.15,5, Auria Pro, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Presonus HP6, DrumPerfect Pro

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: More Reliable Way of Importing DM1 Tracks Into Auria

Post by Anthony Alves » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:23 am

Your fastest way if you have a desktop computer is to use iTunes file transfer as DM1 only exports multi wav file format to Dropbox or iTunes. Simply drag the files out of DM1 onto your desktop and them load them into Auria via iTunes App file sharing. Then load the audio into a project in Auria via the import Audio under the Menu. If you want to do it using only the iPad then your only option is to use AudioCopy to the general pasteboard one track at a time. You will need to mute the tracks so that only one drum part plays at a time. Then audio copy that using the export feature in DM1. Set it to the whole song or pattern if you wish. Then after you have tapped copy audio DM1 will make a copy of that track to the general pasteboard followed by an option to transfer to another app, choose Auria and your ready to select a track and Audio paste the drum part into Auria under the Edit menu. You will notice that all the copies will be in stereo as the general pasteboard only copies in stereo even if you tell Auria to make it a mono track, the import will still display in stereo and the mixer will display a stereo sign. You will have to mix down each part to mono inside of Auria. Don't forget to solo the track before mixdown in Auria to be assured the track will not include any other tracks. As well all audio imported from the general pasteboard seem to come into Auria very hot. Reduce these files by highlighting the track and under the Process menu choose gain and reduce the gain by -10db this will return your signal to 0db on the mixer vu and master vu. Reduce these to -20db if you intend to add plugins. Cheers and hope this helps.

indratgj
Expert

Post by indratgj » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:01 pm

Anthony,

Thanks for the suggestions. The iTunes file-sharing option didn't work for me. When I selected DM1 from the apps list in iTunes, the folder was empty, so for some reason iTunes couldn't see the drum tracks. I wonder if the iOS 8.3 security upgrade is the culprit, since it locked down app sandbox areas.
I then tried Audio Copy/ Audio Paste. That worked fine, although it took a while. Still not as long as three failed attempts to export to DropBox. :) Do you know if there is any sound quality loss using Audio Copy?

Anyway, thanks again.

Travis
iPad Pro 12.9” Gen 5, iOS v.15,5, Auria Pro, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Presonus HP6, DrumPerfect Pro

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:46 pm

No there is no loss is audio quality. However the sampling frequency can only be 44.1khz other than that its a direct digital mixdown. cheers.

indratgj
Expert

Post by indratgj » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:56 pm

Thanks Anthony.