MTC for Auria Pro

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

tourtelot

MTC for Auria Pro

Post by tourtelot » Tue May 07, 2019 9:11 am

I use Auria Pro as a backup for on-location recordings. It will conveniently take eight channels out of my Grace m108 preamp via USB and an Apple USB to Lightening adapter and give me an easy backup. Up to eight tracks, quick and easy with a nice UI, beautiful screens, and easy file management via .aaf. I'm pretty sold for eight tracks or less.

But, and there is always a "but" right?

I'd love to figure out a means to supply LTC from my 788T to, let's say, channel 8 on the Grace and have a way to convert it to MTC which Auria Pro will see and print (I think) which would make the backup time-sync'd with the master recording. As for right now, I start both machines together and they are mostly close, so it's not a deal-breaker. Just something nicer.

Waves Tracks Live has a nice way of allowing LTC sync'ing and I really like it and use it for BUs from larger track-count jobs, but it means lugging the MBP and the associated crap on the job and for 2, 4 or even 6-mic jobs, it seems a lot of more stuff. The iPad always is in my briefcase and requires no additional planning to have it out with me. Lazy, I know, but whatever.

There is an LTC to MTC converter for OSX called Lockstep which works well, and I have used it, but no app for the iPad.

Any midi-mavins out there have any ideas how to make LTC audio into MTC on an iPad?

D.
Douglas Tourtelot, CAS
Seattle, WA
Dante Level 2 Certified

Ralf
Expert

Re: MTC for Auria Pro

Post by Ralf » Sun May 19, 2019 3:08 am

Hi,

while it's easy to make a sequencer slave of a SMPTE master, here we've done this with an analog tape recorder and an Atari ST sequencer in our home studios, it's not that easy to sync recorders, something we've already done at work in the 80s in a professional video studio, but not at home.

If you sync the audio IOs of your digital devices by sharing the clock and sync the recorders' transport by SMPTE, you still need to compensate lock errors, probably by resampling all audio tracks.

Since English isn't my native language, I don't really understand what you want to achieve. It doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

The missing software to convert LTC to MTC seems to be the least issue.

FWIW don't consider to use hardware to convert LTC to MTC and to use MIDI IOs to sync, since then you also would have to deal with MIDI jitter.

Regards,
Ralf

dougdi

Post by dougdi » Sun May 19, 2019 12:31 pm

I wonder if one of the MOTU boxes can do it without a computer connection?

http://motu.com/products/midi/micro_usb/midi.html

tourtelot

Post by tourtelot » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:31 am

Sorry if I was vague.

I would like Auria to be able to take LTC, incoming on one of the audio channels and be able to use that time code to sync an Auria recording to the timeline. Simple. That way, the timeline on the files in the Auria recording will match the timeline on a recording done on another recorder; Sound Devices 788T, JoeCo BBR64-Dante, Waves Tracks Live, etc.

Auria serves as a simple, out of (Dante) network backup recorder, straight off my Grace m108 preamp via USB on smaller dates. If I have any audio problems on the master recorder(s), I'd like for editorial to be able to find and sync replacement tracks from Auria using time code instead of fussing around and trying to sync them "by ear."

That's pretty much the long and the short of it.

D.
Douglas Tourtelot, CAS
Seattle, WA
Dante Level 2 Certified