New iPad lost projects

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Unclebelly
Expert

New iPad lost projects

Post by Unclebelly » Tue May 21, 2019 11:07 pm

Hi folks
Can somebody help me
I just got a new iPad as the last one crashed
I always had iCloud backup on
I have redownloaded Auria and restored my purchases but I cannot find my precious projects
Please help
Thanks
Steve

richardyot
Expert

Re: New iPad lost projects

Post by richardyot » Wed May 22, 2019 3:29 pm

iCloud backups unfortunately don't include Auria projects, you need to back those up manually with DropBox, or the Save Project to Other App function, or iTunes.

Is there any way you can access the data on your old iPad?

Unclebelly
Expert

Post by Unclebelly » Wed May 22, 2019 3:45 pm

Basically my screen went dead but the iPad still breaths
I don’t know what to do

Rodolfo
Expert

Post by Rodolfo » Wed May 22, 2019 4:37 pm

If your iPad is still alive (although with a dead screen) you should be able to access your Auria Projects with iTunes on the desktop.
Just connect it to your computer using a USB cable, open iTunes and go to “Files Sharing”. Select Auria Pro and you should see at the right all of your Auria Folders, including your project folders. Copy those folders to your desktop and then you can copy them to your new iPad.

Unclebelly
Expert

Post by Unclebelly » Wed May 22, 2019 4:42 pm

Wow thanks
Would I need to use Mac as normally I use windows laptop ?

Unclebelly
Expert

Post by Unclebelly » Wed May 22, 2019 4:44 pm

Also I guess I need to unlock the iPad but cannot see the creep of course

Unclebelly
Expert

Post by Unclebelly » Wed May 22, 2019 4:44 pm

I mean screen ...keyboard error sorry

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Wed May 22, 2019 5:16 pm

richardyot wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 3:29 pm
iCloud backups unfortunately don't include Auria projects, you need to back those up manually with DropBox, or the Save Project to Other App function, or iTunes.

Are you sure ? The information about iCloud backups on the Apple Support site implies that all app data is backed up when iCloud backups are on. I stopped being able to use iCloud backups on my music iPad because I ran out of room...and I got repeated warnings that it wasn't able to back up my data.

Unclebelly
Expert

Post by Unclebelly » Wed May 22, 2019 8:39 pm

That’s interesting
That’s what I thought too
Could somebody clarify about iCloud backup and auria projects
Thanks

Corey W
Expert

Post by Corey W » Wed May 22, 2019 9:18 pm

iCloud definitely does not back your projects up, unfortunately.
If your iPad screen is dead, you may want to go into an Apple store to see if they can help with any data recovery.

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Thu May 23, 2019 5:02 am

Espiegel123 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 5:16 pm
richardyot wrote:

Are you sure ? The information about iCloud backups on the Apple Support site implies that all app data is backed up when iCloud backups are on. I stopped being able to use iCloud backups on my music iPad because I ran out of room...and I got repeated warnings that it wasn't able to back up my data.
Yes I'm absolutely certain that Auria projects are not backed up in iCloud. I've been using Auria since 2013, and in that time I've upgraded my iPad 3 times (iPad 2--> iPad 4 --> iPad Air 2 --> iPad Pro 10.5). Each time I've restored my data from iCloud, and the Auria projects are not part of the restore, it's just the app and settings that get restored from iCloud.

Many apps do restore from iCloud with projects intact, for example GarageBand, Cubasis and Korg Gadget. But not Auria, I imagine Auria projects might simply be too large for this to be practical.

Unclebelly
Expert

Post by Unclebelly » Thu May 23, 2019 9:11 am

Thanks fellas
Ok I’ll first take a trip to the apple store after the weekend
I’ll let you know how I get on by middle of next week

Corey W
Expert

Post by Corey W » Thu May 23, 2019 9:30 am

Just a fair warning, some of the Apple 'Geniuses' know very little of pro-audio/design software on iOS. Their lack of common knowledge is quite startling sometimes.
Anyway, just let them know you are trying to recover the entire Auria documents folder from your old iPad. This folder contains all of your Auria projects, audio and MID files, sampler instruments, etc...

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Thu May 23, 2019 9:44 am

richardyot wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 5:02 am
Espiegel123 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 5:16 pm
richardyot wrote:

Yes I'm absolutely certain that Auria projects are not backed up in iCloud. I've been using Auria since 2013, and in that time I've upgraded my iPad 3 times (iPad 2--> iPad 4 --> iPad Air 2 --> iPad Pro 10.5). Each time I've restored my data from iCloud, and the Auria projects are not part of the restore, it's just the app and settings that get restored from iCloud.

Many apps do restore from iCloud with projects intact, for example GarageBand, Cubasis and Korg Gadget. But not Auria, I imagine Auria projects might simply be too large for this to be practical.
Ouch! This is good to know...there should be a warning somewhere.

This sounds like a bug there might be a bug in how Auria Pro saves/marks the data. It wouldn't be related to file size I don't think. As you note, there are other audio apps whose data gets backed that create huge files.

Ralf
Expert

Post by Ralf » Thu May 23, 2019 12:12 pm

Unclebelly wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 4:42 pm
Wow thanks
Would I need to use Mac as normally I use windows laptop ?
Hi,

no, your version of Windows just needs to be compatible with a version of iTunes, that is compatible with the versions of iOS used by your iPads. IOW XP can't be used, Windows 7 and newer will work without issues. Just download the Windows version from the Apple homepage, it works with old and new iOS versions. FWIW for me it works running iTunes on a Windows guest, in a VM on a Linux host with an iPad 2 (iOS 9.3.5, Auria Pro isn't installed on the iPad 2) and an iPad Pro (iOS 12.3 including File Sharing with Auria Pro)

The broken iPad doesn't need a working display to transfer data to iTunes, but you might need to unlock the iPad by your password, to allow access, so this could be a showstopper.

Good luck!
Ralf