Recording with Behringer U-PHORIA UMC1820 and ipad

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

matthewaugle

Recording with Behringer U-PHORIA UMC1820 and ipad

Post by matthewaugle » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:16 pm

Hello,

So recently my band purchased the Behringer U-PHORIA UMC1820 and we have connected to an IPAD and we recorded. Our issues is two fold,

1) we are using all 8 channels on auria for a live recording, when we go to listen back to the recording to do overdubs we are getting super low sound, not enough to do overdubs. Anyway to raise that volume on playback? We thought we could just re-wind the song and start doing over dubs but it is so low we couldnt hear it at all?

2) We are having issues with output settings I think. Anyone have a good tutorial or a walk thru that can help us.

We are sorta nubs to interface recording, we have always used Tascam 32sd to record. We figured we give this a try.

Thank you in advance for all your help. This forum is great, along with this product.

Corey W
Expert

Re: Recording with Behringer U-PHORIA UMC1820 and ipad

Post by Corey W » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:10 am

Hi,
So before you start recording, you want to make sure that you put your tracks in Auria into 'record arm' mode (by pressing the record button on each individual channel strip), this way you can see the signal coming into Auria from your interface. At this point you can adjust the gain on the Behringer interface so that each instrument is coming into Auria at around -15 to -10. It is important in the digital realm to leave yourself with plenty of headroom.
Post recording, if you need to adjust the gain on the tracks, change Auria's view to 'Edit' (so you see the waveforms), tap to highlight an audio region and go to the top of the screen> Process> Gain (or you can use Normalize, but read about normalizing audio (Google it) before you do this, please).
Ideally, you would get good signal into Auria so you could just mix with the faders and not have to adjust the gain settings or normalize the audio.

What kind of output issues are you experiencing exactly?

FranksRiffs
Expert

Post by FranksRiffs » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:52 pm

Hi, I have noticed an issue with my Behringer 404 and 204, even when the gain is set to just under red light warning on the device the signal into the iPad is far too low, maybe -10. This is intermittent and I know of no one that can confirm this for me. This means that there is no way to get good level to the track. I sometimes use AUM and their preamp gain to boost the input to tracks.

matthewaugle

Post by matthewaugle » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:37 pm

Hello

So what is happening is we record all the tracks. But the volume for some reason is low.

I think one of the main issues is playback we get no sound at all
Without any sounds we can not do overdubs.

Any help with this.....

What I did the last time was take the tracks and uploaded them to dropbox and then put them into acoustic mixcraft to raise the track volume. But it's tough because overdubs have to be done on a separate day.

Any help please

wigglelights
Expert

Post by wigglelights » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:41 am

Read Cory’ Post. Use the gain processor to raise the volume

KevinMcL

Post by KevinMcL » Sun May 26, 2019 8:26 am

I have the same issue. I use the Behringer XR 18, connect it to my iPad running auria via USB, and record my band live. Works great. I have also found that proper recording level does not create proper playback level. I have been fixing it with the individual channel FX by cranking the output volume on the EQ and compressor. I am glad to get info on a better way.

I have an additional question. The output from the mixer is too hot for auria’s inputs and I typically record at -25. Is there a way to adjust the individual channels input gain globally? I am in a live situation and time is of the essence (I’m engineering and playing). If there was a way to make one input adjustment affect all inputs at the same time, that would help me in a HUGE way.

Corey W
Expert

Post by Corey W » Sun May 26, 2019 7:35 pm

Unfortunately you can't control the gain on all tracks in Auria on a global level.

Are you monitoring the input of your XR18 gain in the Behringer Air app? The gain shouldn't be coming into Auria too hot if you are setting proper levels at the interface level.

KevinMcL

Post by KevinMcL » Sun May 26, 2019 10:48 pm

As someone who has made a living doing live sound, I am knowledgeable on setting input levels. Because I am performing and not actively watching the inputs on the XR18 during the show, I have them set at what I would consider a strong but conservative level. I do not have any input distortion or excessive input levels at the XR18’s inputs, but at those levels, I do get excessive levels and input distortion in Auria (Not using Auria pro) which suggests to me that the reference for 0 bB somewhere in the usb signal chain is different than the reference for
0 dB at the XR18 audio channel inputs.

In other words an input reading 0dB on the meters of the XR18=an input reading a lot hotter than that at the input of Auria.

Thanks again for the procedure to raise the channel gain on the waveforms page after recording. That works way better than what I was doing.

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Mon May 27, 2019 3:15 pm

KevinMcL wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 10:48 pm
As someone who has made a living doing live sound, I am knowledgeable on setting input levels. Because I am performing and not actively watching the inputs on the XR18 during the show, I have them set at what I would consider a strong but conservative level. I do not have any input distortion or excessive input levels at the XR18’s inputs, but at those levels, I do get excessive levels and input distortion in Auria (Not using Auria pro) which suggests to me that the reference for 0 bB somewhere in the usb signal chain is different than the reference for
0 dB at the XR18 audio channel inputs.

In other words an input reading 0dB on the meters of the XR18=an input reading a lot hotter than that at the input of Auria.

Thanks again for the procedure to raise the channel gain on the waveforms page after recording. That works way better than what I was doing.
It sounds like it might be worthwhile to spend some time not at a gig doing some calibration to see how the level display on the Behringer maps to what Auria displays.