Editing/Mixing podcasts in Auria - tips, suggestions?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

dewbop

Editing/Mixing podcasts in Auria - tips, suggestions?

Post by dewbop » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:24 am

Hi y'all. Does anyone have workflow tips for editing a podcast in Auria? There are plenty of posts on the web about general podcast editing/mixing tips. I'm looking for thoughts specifically at doing this in Auria.

I've been asked to mix/edit a podcast for my company. Conceptually I understand what needs to happen but it's the first time I've tried to put it in practice. Most of my work in Auria is either creating music or working with field recordings.

I have some of the fabfilter plugins already. I plan on purchasing the full bundle so I have all those tools to use.

The source files are clean (no background noise). The challenges I see at the moment are:
* male voice and female voice together on one track. The female voice changes volume more than the male.
* lots of siblance (especially in the female voice). I'm hoping the FF Pro-DS will help here
* poor room tone. I've got the hollow reverb of a tiny square office with minimal sound absorption

Any tips from Auria users who've done this before would be great.

cheers!
Last edited by dewbop on Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Espiegel123
Expert

Re: Editing/Mixing podcasts in Auria - tips, suggestions?

Post by Espiegel123 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:32 am

You will want to use compressors on each voice to control dynamic range.

A very judicious use of a room-type reverb will help you mask the bad room tone along with some EQ if the room caused any funny EQ bumps.

JonathanMac

Re: Editing/Mixing podcasts in Auria - tips, suggestions?

Post by JonathanMac » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:20 pm

If the singers are in differing enough frequency ranges, I think you could use PRO-MB to compress the highs (female vocals) more than the lows (male vocals).
I don't have any experience fixing reverb problems, but EQ may help remove "boxy" or "honky" tones.