adjusting mic gain

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

markush2628

adjusting mic gain

Post by markush2628 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:47 pm

Hello,

(I hope I'm posting this in the right section of the forum. if not, love and forgive ;) )

First of all, I'd like to say I really like the auria app! I'm a beginner in recording. I started with garage band on my ipad, and after a while felt I outgrew that app and needed an upgrade. Auria came out just on time :)

I'm having an issue which might be really easy to solve for someone with experience. I'm using Samson's Meteor microphone, and I seem to be unable to adjust the gain (that is the correct term for sensitivity, right?) of the mic. It feeds sound in a really high volume.When I hold my finger down on the record button of the track, I get a "Microphone gain" dialogue window. However even if I turn the knob all the way down, nothing happens to the volume of the feed. Sure - I can adjust the volume of the track, but on the meter it still goes to red, and it starts clipping easily with my recorder flute. I've tried the process with my ipad's internal microphone, and then it works fine: if I turn the gain knob all the way down, I get no feedback, and as I slowly turn it up, the volume increases - just how I would like it to do with my external usb mic!

What might be the problem, and how do I solve it?

Thankful for any help!

Peace!

markush2628

Re: adjusting mic gain

Post by markush2628 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:50 pm

(correction: the dialogue window I called "microphone gain" is called "record level")

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:35 am

Are you using the latest version of Auria (1.05)? A problem similar to this was fixed a few versions back. You can check your version by going to the settings page (it's listed at the bottom).

Rim

markush2628

Post by markush2628 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:56 am

Yes, 1.0.5

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:52 pm

I just tested this feature and it is working as it should. So I don't think it's Auria. Is the input ok if you use another app say GarageBand? Are you adjusting the proper input? You should start by a hard re-set of your ipad. do this by holding the home button and the start button at the same time and continue to hold until you see the apple, then let go. I suggest a new project dedicated to just this test. Set one channel to record your mic with no FX. Leave all faders at unity. Tap the record enable and hold for the record input options , choose the record level knob. Turn it all the way Down, you should hear nothing, gradually turn up the record level knob to a good level but not peaking. If this doesn't work you may have to re-install Auria. Do this through the App Store on your iPad not your iTunes on your computer. You should see a 5 min tutorial as Auria is uncompressing, this means the install is going as it should, then try the above steps again. Hope this helps get your tunes on their way.
Cheers.
~~_/)~~~

markush2628

Post by markush2628 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:13 am

Resetting and starting a new project didn't help. The record level-knob has no effect on the actual level, with the samson meteor mic. However - I tried using my other mic - a zoom H2 through a powered usb-hub, and immediately the signal reacts to the record level setting, working as it should!

The meteor mic worked fine last time I used it with garage band! could it be a compatibility issue between auria and the mic? I removed garage band when I installed auria, to save space, but I guess I could reinstall it to test the mic again. I'd really like to be able to use the meteor mic with auria, since it doesn't require any powered usb-hub and therefore is very practical on the go, still delivering nice quality sound!

thanks for helping out!
have a great day!

Dcramer
Expert

Post by Dcramer » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:48 am

I'm certain that I tried this using my USB powered Snowball mic and it worked as it should but that was before this latest version. I recall in earlier versions a bug where the USB mic in was affected by other apps that were opened before Auria?

markush2628

Post by markush2628 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:26 am

It's become clear to me now that my mic is broken somehow :(

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:53 am

markush2628 wrote:It's become clear to me now that my mic is broken somehow :(
You should try to test it out in GarageBand because it may be an incompatibility issue. Good Luck.

DavePDX
Expert

Post by DavePDX » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:44 pm

If you search the forum for "Samson Meteor" you'll see that this has been discussed several times. I have that mike also, and found that if I adjusted the level in another app like MultiTrack DAW first, it kept the correct level in Auria. The mike is very hot without some gain reduction. I haven't used it in quite awhile, or tried it with the latest version of Auria.

ltf3

Post by ltf3 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:04 pm

Yes the Meteor is great except that it has no Physical level control. That has to be done via software / USB. On a Mac the system sound prefs can adjust it's levels .... And so can Garage band on the iPad?

The Auria record level only scales the incoming signal ..... Thus if the Meteor is to hot, it will just make a smaller version of that distorted signal.

It would be great if Auria could send the standard USB mic level control ... I have seen several miss that work this way and the Meter would be a great budget choice, It has a proper latency free output too!

Best

Lee