metronome what up

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Re: metronome what up

Post by Rim » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:47 pm

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of one button doing multiple things. I like the idea of a separate mixer and edit button, since it's pretty obvious then what each button does. I can see how that would make workflow a bit easier, though so I'm thinking about it.

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:15 pm

@Rim: I agree with you about multi-function buttons but, in this case, I'm advocating one function only; that function being to toggle between windows (or, if there are ever more than two windows, cycle through them).

I've always found the two current buttons counter-intuitive because the inactive button is highlighted, rather than the available one (i.e. when on the edit window, the mixer window button is dimmed so I have to, 'think' about which button to tap to get to the other window, instead of simply tapping the bright button - and vice versa, of course). The 'Undo' buttons use the opposite logic, re brightness - if no undo/redo is possible, the button is dim.

Perhaps that inconsistency could be addressed, if you prefer to keep two window-select buttons?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:24 pm

Interesting... I've never looked at it that way. I can see why that would look inconsistent, especially when comparing it to the way undo and other selectors work. I think both methods are valid, they're just different. In the case of the mixer / Edit buttons, the button brightness is indicating it's current state (active/inactive), and pressing the inactive button makes it active. That's a pretty popular way to operate buttons. Think of the heater mode controls in your car. The current mode is lit up. Pressing one of the non-lit up modes activates that mode, and the others go dim. Having to toggle through the heater modes would save buttons, but I like having them separate, so I always know where to press to get a certain mode. This is why I like this for Auria.

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:32 pm

@Rim: I appreciate your logic, as it applies to buttons on a mixer or some such. One expects Mute/Solo/Rec/FX buttons to be lit when active - but that's because they're activators and indicators combined. Also they are toggle switches (like 'tick' boxes), unlike the heater control buttons you cited (they're analogous to 'radio buttons'). Their appearance (lit/unlit) reflects status, not availability.

On the other hand, the icons/buttons on the toolbar are also activators but their appearance (solid vs. greyed-out) indicates their availability, not their status. The alternative to them being greyed-out would be for them to be invisible when not available/relevant. They are, anyway, inoperative when greyed-out.

Currently, the Edit/Mixer Window selection icons are indicators where no indicator is required - it's perfectly obvious which window is active!

What's needed is a clear indication of how to select the other window. That's why I conclude only one icon is required. It could be the 'mixer' icon when on the Edit Window and the 'waveform' icon when on the Mixer Window - or just a single icon (perhaps half-mixer, half-waveform), if that's easier to do. When I say that I have to 'think' about which of the current two icons to tap, I mean that I find myself having to make a conscious decision NOT to tap the bright icon but go for the dim one instead - or hesitate while I evaluate the icons themselves.

Anyway Rim, I don't mean to argue with you (except in the academic sense) and I certainly don't wish to teach grandmother how to suck eggs (if you're familiar with the expression). Auria is testament to your good judgement and expertise. I also did not intend to hijack the thread (apologies to Anthony). I meant only to suggest a means by which a little screen real estate could be freed up.

:D

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:11 pm

Good, valid points. I guess in the end it boils down to a matter of preference.

Thanks,
Rim

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:38 pm

2cents:

I've always thought the mixer / edit buttons should have equal indicator status. Having one greyed out seemed not to be offering the one button I would want to press go into the background which seemed counter intuitive.

The other inconsistency has always been the 'fx' buttons in the mixer. seeing a button light up means 'on' in the edit screen and off in the channel strip (the bypass button). Always seemed inconsistent to me. Imagine if that was a mixing board for a live band, it would be a crazy company that mixed up the meaning of 'lit' and 'unlit' buttons.

Small things really and I can certainly live with them.

p.s. I've always wanted some pastel colours for tracks too

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:32 am

Thanks, @mtingle - with no-one chiming in to support my view, I was beginning to think I'm the odd one out :wink:

If you're referring to the 'Bypass' button on the ChannelStrip dialog appearing to be lit, I agree 100% that it seems counter-intuitive but it's actually logically consistent (in itself) because when it's lit, Bypass=ON. I think it seems inconsistent because it's not skeuomorphic and because the 'FX' button on both Mixer or Edit windows behaves very differently to the other 'lamp' buttons.

The 'Solo', 'Mute', 'Rec' and automation buttons simply toggle their respective functions on/off and their lamps reflect that on/off status. The 'Rec' button has a second mode (tap&hold), which brings up the 'Record Options Pop-up' (and, annoyingly, enables Rec at the same time, even if I only want to access the Input Matrix but not enable Rec!). For the 'FX' button to be consistent, a single tap would ONLY toggle all fx on/off and to bring up the ChannelStrip dialog would require a tap&hold. However, I can see that hiding the ChannelStrip behind a tap&hold would be confusing for many, especially new users. Furthermore, the 'FX' button reflects the status not only of the ChannelStrip but also the Insert fx.

So it's clear to me why Rim uses the 'Bypass' button but I have a hunch that a change to the appearance of that button would make a big difference. If it were a proper/skeuomorphic lamp button it would be obvious that the ChannelStrip is off by default. Yes, that's contrary to iOS7 norms but isn't that true of the ChannelStrip itself? Because it only bypasses the ChannelStrip, I would also rename the Bypass button to 'Channel Strip', but that's another matter ;)

So, @mtingle, I suspect you and I are in a very small minority regarding such subtle ergonomic enhancements. I just hope Rim isn't offended by the criticism and suggestion.

+1 re the colours :)